Thursday, March 18, 2010

Alex Chilton died? Aw man, that sucks

Yeah, this sucks.
ALEX CHILTON, the singer/songwriter and leader of the BOX TOPS and BIG STAR has died, age 59 in New Orleans.

I am listening to the Big Star album, "RADIO CITY," and thinking about how many great songs the band produced.

Chilton initially collaborated with Chris Bell in Big Star, and the band's songs -- while never hits -- represent the pinnacle of what is known as "power pop."

"September Gurls," "I'm in Love With a Girl," "Feel," "When My Baby's Beside Me," Mod Lang," "In the Street" (later, a Cheap Trick cover served as the theme for "That '70s Show") and more.

I have to thank my sister INGER for introducing me to Big Star.

I'll think of her, too, as I listen to Big Star and mourn the passing of Chilton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home