Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally getting what all the "Hot Fuss" is about

When THE KILLERS released their debut album, "HOT FUSS," in 2004, I thought:
"What's the big deal?"

Sure, the singles "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" were instantly catchy. But they also sounded like the work of a DURAN DURAN tribute band.

Then, the album took off into the stratosphere of popularity, selling more than 3 million copies in the United States and claiming five Grammy Awards, and that was enough for me. This album was too *popular* for my tastes.

I continued to plow my more esoteric musical furrow, deciding to ignore this album by a LAS VEGAS band.

Well, six years later, "Hot Fuss" is finally growing on me.

I listened to it a couple times on my iPod yesterday, as we prepared for:

1. Workmen to begin renovating our BATHROOM today.

2. Today's receipt of a larger, brand-new COUCH.

"Hot Fuss" sounded great as I hauled trash out to the back of the house and cleaned up around the litter box upstairs.

In his "Essential Rock Discography," author Martin Charles Strong suggests the Killers have outdone their New Romantic forebears with "Hot Fuss."

"Even Duran Duran themselves -- inspired to recreate their classic sound on their 'Astronaut' set) couldn't nail that heady 'Rio' echo as well as (Killers vocalist Brandon) Flowers and Co.," Strong writes.
Perhaps it's not bad to reflect the invigorating sounds of a forgotten era.

Maybe that's why "Hot Fuss" is growing on me -- I am that much farther removed from the original source material.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

I actually found them via "Day and Age" and prefer that album.
I eventually caught up and listened to Hot Fuss but Day & Age is the one for me.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home