Thursday, October 22, 2009

With The Jam, even a "minor" song was brilliant

"So this is the modern world. I'm glad they told me. For an instant, I'd thought I'd been transported back to 1965."
-- Mick Farren, writing in the NME, October 1977.
This morning's COLD, WET WEATHER made me reach for "THE JAM'S GREATEST HITS" CD for my drive to work.
The brilliance of the songs made me sing along.
"What kind of fool do you think I am? You think I know nothing of the modern world."
While singing along to the October 1977 single "THE MODERN WORLD," I recalled that by The Jam's ridiculously high standards, this tune has been considered one of the band's minor works.
"Nicking the main riff from The Who's 'Pictures of Lily,' The Jam sound angry and concerned but not convincing enough to carry the song fully," wrote PAOLO HEWITT in "THE JAM: A BEAT CONCERTO." "A step sideways rather than forward, it could only reach 36 in the charts before dropping."
I admit the song pales in comparison to classics such as "Going Underground," but as I sang along en route to work, I thought:
How many bands would *kill* to have songs like this in their repertoire?