Friday, October 16, 2009

True story: I actually traveled back in time and posted this on Wednesday

Time travel has fired the public's imagination since 1895, when ROUTE 1 traveled back in time and said to H.G. WELLS:
"Yo, H.G., you should write a story about time travel, and you could call it 'The Time Machine.' Trust us on this one."
To which H.G. replied:
"Why are you wearing a shirt that says 'Portland Trail Blazers?' I only implanted a computer chip in Dr. James Naismith four years ago to cause him to invent basketball."
Sure it complicates things, but time travel remains a popular pastime. You haven't tried it?
Oh my. Well, this week, our readers can help, offering some tips by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"You have a time machine. Where do you go, when and why?"
ROSEANNE H. -- If I had a time machine I would beam myself up and over to Rhomberg Street in Dubuque right now to see my favorite son and his family.
RICK T. -- I would go back to 1957 so I could spend some time with my dad. I was 11 years old when he died in 1960. I'd like to take him to a ball game.
STEVE M. -- To Abbey Road Studios June/July 1968 and watch the Beatles recording the White Album.
MIKE D. -- I would visit some of Dubuque's hot spots -- like Union Park and Melody Mill -- in their hey days to experience the hoopla of each era of the city's history. On the way to and fro, I'd also stop by and relive my childhood.
KERSTIN H. -- I would go to a Beatles concert in England because they rock.
JIM S. -- So many cool choices ... I'd pick Jesus' Sermon on the Mount No. 1, even if I couldn't understand his language. I'd just want to experience the aura of his presence and the wonder of the people surrounding him. Second choice would be Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. I'd squish up as close as possible to hear what this great man's voice actually sounded like. I'm sure I'd be surprised by what I heard.
MIKE M. -- I would use the machine to skip the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Happy Holidays!
KERI M. -- Back to when I was in Grade 1. I went to the best school ever. It is shut down now.
JOHN S. -- July 4th, 1776 to see the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
ERIK H. -- I would dial up 3:58 p.m., Oct. 3, 1951, to see Bobby Thomsen hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" that gave the Giants a 5-4 victory over the Dodgers and the National League pennant. I would probably start chanting "Beat L.A., Beat L.A.," though, and the rest of the people in the stands at the Polo Grounds would give me strange looks until I climbed back into the time machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home