Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Staggering toward the weekend, in need of some musical fire

I feel like I'm staggering and stumbling toward a finish line this week.
I have the prospects of A FOUR-DAY WEEKEND ahead of me (I am off Friday and Monday, in addition to the traditional Saturday and Sunday), but the current workaday week seems like it just inches imperceptibly along.
I am hoping listening to "FREE FOR ALL" by ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS will help propel me forward.
Legendary drummer Blakey is joined on this 1964 classic by a group that had played with him for three years: Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Wayne Shorter on tenor sax, Curtis Fuller on trombone, Cedar Walton on piano and Reggie Workman on bass.
This tight collection plays intuitively together and they never seem to lapse into the ordinary. Every tune maintains its interest.
This music is no lounge-style cool jazz, either.
It burns with a white-hot heat, or, as reviewer Ken Watkins remarked, "the music becomes as heavy as any jazz played anywhere."
I hope this wonderful album helps me reach my weekend finish line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home