Monday, October 26, 2009

There could be cheering from beyond the grandstand

I love the PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS because my late, OREGON native DAD loved the state's only professional sports franchise.
I think my dad loved the team so much because his brother loved them more.
That relationship makes this season -- tipping off this week -- so significant for me. It's the first Blazers season without my late UNCLE ROGER, who recently passed away.
I have been reading THE SPORTING NEWS annual NBA preview magazine the past couple days. The magazine's editors point to Portland as a team on the verge of cracking the top tier of teams.
"Portland flirted with a host of free-agent possibilities, finally settling on signing point guard Andre Miller from Philadelphia," the editors write. "Miller will get everyone involved, but it's continued success for Brandon Roy and improved play from a healthy Greg Oden that the Trail Blazers will need to take the next step."
I'm sad to think the team could take that next step without my uncle cheering them on. On the other hand, who am I to say he's not watching from beyond the grandstand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home