Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Star Wars:" A tale of two viewings

ANNIKA and I were about the same age when we saw "STAR WARS" for the first time.
Only a generation of pop cultural saturation stood between us.
I was 11 when I saw the George Lucas classic in 1977 at a cinema.
Annika watched the film for the first time last night, on DVD.
I had originally watched the film with a blank slate -- the initial shot of the massive starship chasing Princess Leia's much smaller craft taking my breath away in 1977.
Annika watched the film connecting the dots in her existing knowledge.
"When does Darth Vader say, 'Luke, I am your father?'" she said.
That's another one of the movies.
"Why did his uncle tell Luke is father's dead, when his father is Darth Vader?"
We don't find out until Luke finds out.
"If that is Luke Skywalker, which one is Anakin Skywalker?"
We learn about him later in the series.

Now, Annika wants to watch the rest of the series of films. She wants to catch up on the story that has become part of our cultural fabric in the years since 1977.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home