Sunday, July 12, 2009

A spoonful of Ali G helps the cricket go down

BOOYAKASHA!
I have been watching some hilarious episodes of "DA ALI G SHOW" on DVD because I can only take so much of the miserable pessimism surrounding ENGLAND and the first ASHES TEST against AUSTRALIA -- which I have been hearing on BBC RADIO'S TEST MATCH SPECIAL online.
At tea on the fifth day, England are 435 & 169-7 against Australia's 674-6 (declared), and the hosts (although the match is really in Cardiff, Wales) are battling to avoid humiliation with a draw.
"Da Ali Go Show" is notable for providing the first looks at the SACHA BARON COHEN alter egos Borat and BrĂ¼no, as well as the "wanksta" titular character.
Baron Cohen sometimes pushes the envelope a little too forcefully for my comfort, but all too often I am laughing so hard I can't hear all of the dialogue.
"When you arrived on de moon," Ali G asks astronaut Buzz Aldrin, "was the people who lived there very friendly, or was they scared of you?"
I need all the laughing I can get after listening to sorrowful England struggling against the Aussies.
Here's a special, Ali G-influenced shout out to ROUTE 1 INTERN KERSTIN, who turns 14 today: "Big up yourself!"