Saturday, July 18, 2009

He could sing anything

I have listened to the excellent JEFF BUCKLEY album "GRACE" several times during the past few days while reading a book-length treatise on the disc by DAPHNE A. BROOKS.
The gifted vocals of the late Buckley never cease to amaze me.
Brooks shares my view: "Throughout 'Grace,' Jeff Buckley re-imagines the use of voice in relation to guitar; he manipulates voice in similar ways to a guitar virtuoso. Moving from guttural growl to searing falsetto, from mediated whisper to aching yelps, from Sufi-influenced Qawwali scale-jumping to gospel-inflected call and response, Jeff 'plays' his voice on 'Grace' with all the fever and passion of a fast-fretting prog-rock axe man."
I turned to Jill once while we listened to "Grace" and said:
"Jeff Buckley could have been an opera singer."
What I should have said was:
"Jeff Buckley could sing absolutely anything."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home