Thursday, April 09, 2009

They're just a "rock" band, I guess

I'm one of those people who is REAL PARTICULAR when it comes to identifying the "GENRE" information in iTunes.
That's the background for a recent dilemma.
I was loading "THE PRETENDERS' GREATEST HITS" on my iPod.
I reached the drop-down box for genre and stopped -- I was momentarily stumped.
What do I call CHRISSIE HYNDE and company?
Fronted by an expatriate American but otherwise containing Brits, THE PRETENDERS formed during the end of the U.K. punk explosion.
Their music, though, doesn't really jive with my notion of "punk rock."
The songs from the debut album, including "Kid" and "Brass in Pocket," don't really fit the "New Wave" category, either.
I finally just stuck with the basics.
On my iPod, at least, The Pretenders are a rock band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home