Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Opening Day is not just another day

OPENING DAY.
Since I was a kid, those words have meant so much.
The "glass half full" side of me thinks of baseball's opening day as a sign that warmth and sun are about to usher out clouds and cold. That warm evenings will be filled with the voices of an announcer describing balls, strikes and other action over the radio.
The "glass half empty" side of me thinks of baseball's opening day as the beginning of an ordeal that can include June Swoons, loads of runners left on base and that awful World Series of 2002.
Hey, what can I say? I am a lifelong fan of the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS. I equate baseball with a certain amount of disappointment -- it's in my blood.
This afternoon, the Giants open the 2009 season against the MILWAUKEE BREWERS (my wife Jill's favorite team).
This morning, we are listening to the MURPH & MAC morning show on KNBR 680 online. KNBR has been the flagship radio station for the Giants for more than 30 years.
While the announcers have mentioned NORTH CAROLINA'S NCAA VICTORY of last night, most of the focus remains on the ballpark.
That's the way it should be on Opening Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home