Friday, April 03, 2009

Movies and their music

Would "The Graduate" mean the same to us without the inclusion of the song, "Mrs. Robinson?"
How about "The Lion King" without "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"
Songs are often indelibly linked to films, a phenomenon ROUTE 1 readers note this week by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite movie soundtrack?"
LAURA C. -- "Hedwig!!!" Followed closely by "West Side Story."
BEKAH P. -- Right now, I have to say I am LOVIN' the "Slumdog Millionaire" soundtrack. Of course, I listened to the "Titanic" soundtrack about 10 million times in high school. And I loved the "Rudy" soundtrack as well.
RICK T, -- Anything Elvis sings for his movies.
BRIAN M. -- "Singles." Just-OK movie, but great soundtrack, even if it's a time capsule of the early 1990s. Non-LP songs by Soundgarden and "Ten"-era Pearl Jam, the eight minutes of "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" by Mother Love Bone, and the mesmerizing Chris Cornell, on voice and about four guitars.
KERSTIN H. -- "Twilight" and "West Side Story."
ELLEN B. -- "Grease."
MARY N.-P. -- Oh God, this makes me sound old and boring, but it's the swooping,
spendiforuous melodies of "Lawrence of Arabia" -- also one of my favorite movies...
KERI M. -- The movie that is my life.
STACEY B. -- My favorite movie soundtrack is "Romeo + Juliet." I haven't listened to it in a long time, but it was great background music while doing homework.
ROSEANNE H. -- "Cats" and "Evita."
BRIAN C. -- For music composed specifically for a production, "A Hard Day’s Night" by The Beatles. Lennon and McCartney were still composing during filming and production of the movie. As a result, the so-called "title track" did not accompany the opening credits (it was "Can’t Buy Me Love."). For previously recorded music compiled for a movie, the soundtrack of "Forrest Gump."
MIKE M. -- My favorite movie soundtrack is from Peter Bogdanovich's "The Last Picture Show" (1971). The movie is set in West Texas, where my family is from, and the soundtrack is mostly old Hank Williams songs playing on truck radios, record players, and jukeboxes, the same songs my dad used to sing around our house when I was a kid.
LISA Y. -- "Sleepless in Seattle." My oldest son listened to it every night at bed time for about a year. Good stuff!
ERIK H. -- There are so many from the 1980s that appeal to me, including the marvelous soundtrack to "Valley Girl." The John Hughes films always had great soundtracks as well. The soundtrack to the 2001 film "Donnie Darko" seems like an homage to those classic soundtracks of 20 years earlier, including such gems as "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS and "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home