Sunday, April 05, 2009

"You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain."

"Am I the only one around here who gives a sh*t about the rules?"
It's a question posed by Walter Shobchak (John Goodman) during one of the many hilarious scenes in the COEN BROTHERS' bowling epic "THE BIG LEBOWSKI."
One of my favorite films, I watched it again last night on DVD.
Is bowling a matter of life and death? It seems to be more important than that during the scene in which Shobchak calls into question an alleged rule violation by competitor Smokey (played by singer/songwriter Jimmie Dale Gilmore) while film protagonist The Dude (Jeff Bridges) tries to mediate.
The Dude: Walter, ya know, it's Smokey, so his toe slipped over the line a little, big deal. It's just a game, man.
Walter: Dude, this is a league game, this determines who enters the next round robin. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?
Smokey: Yeah, but I wasn't over. Gimme the marker Dude, I'm marking it 8.
Walter: (pulls out a gun) Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain.
The Dude: Walter...
Walter: You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain.
Smokey: I'm not...
Walter: A world of pain.
Smokey: Dude, he's your partner...
Walter: (shouting) Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a sh*t about the rules? Mark it zero!
The Dude: They're calling the cops, put the piece away.
Walter: Mark it zero! (points the gun in Smokey's face)
The Dude: Walter...
Walter: (shouting) You think I'm f***ing around here? Mark it zero!
Smokey: All right, it's f***ing zero. Are you happy, you crazy f*ck?
Walter: ...It's a league game, Smokey.
Goodman is consistently hilarious throughout this consistently hilarious film. The *liberal* use of the F-word might deter some people from enjoying this film. That's too bad. It is well worth repeated viewings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home