Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Today's recipe for recovery

I learned something new this week: Nothing compounds ILLNESS quite like GUILT.
I have been wracked by guilt after EAR AND SINUS INFECTIONS helped rob me of time I could have been spending with my sister INGER, who returned to SAN FRANCISCO last night.
Only today am I beginning to emerge from a week-long cocoon of feeling crappy.
Having just completed 30 minutes on the treadmill, I am now embarked on a three-part recipe for recovery:
1) A small glass of BRANDY (actually, it really isn't a glass, it is a tiny jar recycled and reused after originally containing pimentos).
2) A bar of HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK CHOCOLATE.
3) "THE GEORGE BENSON COOKBOOK."
I chose the first two for their antioxidant properties.
I chose the third for the healing properties whenever I hear guitarist GEORGE BENSON playing with organist DR. LONNIE SMITH.
Recorded the year I was born (1966), "The George Benson Cookbook" should have given record executives an indication of Benson's greatness. Instead, as Benson recalled:
"By the time I finished recording (the album), I realized that Columbia Records was not as interested as (producer) John Hammond was in trying to further my career."
Benson moved onto Verve Records and eventual commercial success.
I love the tremendous energy of his "Cookbook" album, particularly Smith's playing.
Special moments occur, too, when Benson trades licks with baritone saxophone player RONNIE CUBER.
I wish I could have spent more special moments with my sister when she visited us.
Hopefully, I can recover from those feelings like I am recovering from my illness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home