Monday, February 16, 2009

Theme for Great Illnesses

I can handle ear infections -- I have had so many of them since I was a kid, I have lost all count. Actually, ear infections probably account for my current appreciation of music: There was a time all those ear infections meant I couldn't even hear much music.
Pair an EAR INFECTION with a SINUS INFECTION, however, and that creates the problem facing me now: Hosting my sister INGER while on VACATION, and unable to enjoy myself much at all.
I feel miserable, "gunk" sealed shut my right eye during a recent nap, and I can't be much fun to be around.
All these aspects of illness rattled around in my brain as I drove myself to the doctor's office this morning.
I found comfort in music.
That shouldn't come as too big a surprise.
I put on "SISTER FEELINGS CALL," the 1981 SIMPLE MINDS album that was paired with "SONS AND FASCINATION." I go way back with these two albums. Together, they were the first albums I had in all four formats: VINYL ALBUM, CASSETTE TAPE, COMPACT DISC and DIGITAL FILE. (See the ROUTE 1 archives, circa June 2005.)
I have loved "Sister Feelings Call" for more than two decades, and now, even as I type this hunched over because for some reason it hurts if I straighten up (and with my troublesome right, gunky eye closed), the album continues to serve as a balm.
"Here comes every day it only lasts an hour."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home