Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Give up the Funk: What my music library says about me

What does your music library say about you? It's a question popping up on FACEBOOK, as a result of a fun exercise involving mp3 players and the "shuffle" feature.
Here is how to play:
1) Put Your iPod or mp3 player on SHUFFLE.
2) For each question, press the next button to get your answer in the form of a song title. (No cheating, please.)
3) You must write down the song title and artist, even if they don't make sense as an answer.
4) Include any comments in parentheses.
5) Post the results using the answer to No. 25 as the title.
What does my music library say about me? Well, the fact that I currently have 14,476 songs in that library probably says all you really need to know.
For the record, here are the answers my iPod provided when I performed the exercise last night:
1. What do your friends say about you? "Waitin' in Your Welfare Line," Buck Owens. (Do they really say that?)
2. How would your coworkers describe you? "Run Through the Jungle," Creedence Clearwater Revival.
3. How would you describe yourself? "So What," Miles Davis
4. What do you like in a romantic partner? "Crown of Creation," Jefferson Airplane.
5. How do you feel today? "Fingertips, Pt. 2," Little Stevie Wonder. ("Clap your hands just a little bit louder.")
6. What is your life’s purpose? "Hallelujah," Jeff Buckley. (I adore this song.)
7. What is your motto? "Whip It," DEVO. (Um... OK...)
8. What do you think about the most? "Woman of the Ghetto," Phyllis Dillon.
9. What are you going to do on your next vacation? "In God's Country," U2.
10. What do you think of your first love/date? "88 Lines About 44 Women," The Nails. (I laughed when this song appeared. "...and I was afraid of a girl like that.")
11. What is your life story? "Real by Reel," XTC.
12. What did you do yesterday? "Blues from a Gun," The Jesus & Mary Chain. ("I don't care about the state of my hair.")
13. What do you think of when you see the person you like/love? "Why, Charlie Brown," Wynton Marsalis & Ellis Marsalis.
14. What describes your wedding? "This Charming Man," The Smiths. ("Will nature make a man of me yet?")
15. What will they play at your funeral? "Walking the Back Streets and Crying," Little Milton. (Wow.)
16. What is your obsession? "Anybody Seen My Baby," The Rolling Stones.
17. What is your biggest fear? "Underground Medicin," The Fall.
18. What is your biggest secret? "If I Had You," Frank Sinatra. ("I could turn the grey skies to blue.")
19. What is your biggest turn-on? "Fat," Archers of Loaf. (Actually, not so much).
20. How do you describe your friends? "Maria," Sarah Vaughan.
21. What would you do with a million dollars? "If You Want it Enough," The Johnny Burnette Rock n Roll Trio.
22. What is your opinion of sex? "A It Mek," Desmond Dekker, ("Hear she cry for ice water.")
23. What is your biggest regret? "Blue Arrangements," Silver Jews. ("Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the world and the world isn't watching me back.")
24. What would you rather be doing right now? "No Need for Alarm," Del Tha Funkee Homosapien.
25. What will you post this list as? "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)," Parliament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home