Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't forget the popcorn!

It has been too cold to go outside for most of us, so this week ROUTE 1 readers recommend a few flicks by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"Seen any good films lately?"
RICK T. -- Tonight I watched "Take This Job and Shove It" on DVD. That was filmed in Dubuque, Iowa back in the 80s. It was fun to see the way we dressed back then.

MIKE D. -- I liked the last two "grown-up" movies that I saw in the theater -- "The Dark Knight" and "Australia." I also really enjoyed a movie I saw on TV recently -- "The Road to Perdition" because of its gangster-era, Midwestern setting. However, I'd give a big thumbs-down to the last movie I saw on DVD -- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." The "nuking the fridge" scene was about the MOST believable part of the flick.
KERI M. -- The last good movie we saw was in theatres, "The Dark Knight." On DVD, "Mary Poppins." "Hancock" was pretty good, too.
BRIAN C. -- Not in a theater or even DVD (not a big movie fan), but on TV this week I did watch again "North by Northwest," the Alfred Hitchcock-directed movie of 1959 starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint and James Mason.

STACEY B. -- Theater: "Gran Torino." DVD: "Henry Poole is Here."
BRIAN M. -- I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" last night. I was skeptical with all the hype behind winning the Golden Globe award and an Oscar nomination, but it's a good movie. It's a great story, and the visuals were amazing. There was always tension in the air, right up to the mock Bollywood ending. Go see it.
LAURA C. -- "The Fall." Visually amazing, and the little girl who plays the lead is utterly charming and real...
SASKIA M. -- I watched "Sweet Land" on DVD this weekend and really enjoyed it. For me, it was one of those movies you still think about afterwards. It left some questions open that do not necessarily "need" to be answered, but that you are curious about anyway.
JIM S. -- I just saw "Marty" last night. It wasn't on DVD or in the theater, but on television. It was excellent. It won four Oscars in 1955, including Best Picture, Best Director (Delbert Mann), Best Actor (Ernest Borgnine) and Best Screenplay. I also recently saw "Slumdog Millionaire," perhaps 2009's Best Picture.
ANNIKA H. -- "Marley & Me." It is funny and it is sad.
STEVE M. -- Definitely catch "Frost/Nixon" (especially if you were around in the 70s). "Milk" was excellent as well. DVD -- "Away From Her" (Julie Christie is a lady with Alzheimer's). TV -- Anytime you see "Chinatown," "Fugitive," "Godfather 1 or 2," or "In the Line of Fire" are on AMC or TCM, sit down and watch them straight through.
KERSTIN H. -- Well, in the last two weeks I discovered "The Notebook," which is awesome, but in the last month I saw "Twilight," which is awesomer!
ELLEN B. -- DVD: "The Dark Knight." Very good... Movie: "Bedtime Stories." Very cute...
ROBERT H. -- I watched "The Tuskegee Airmen" (1995) on DVD from Netflix last night. Laurence Fishburne and Cuba Gooding Jr., with an excellent supporting cast, tell the WWII story of the 332nd Air Force squadron (America's first black pilots) succeed, while living in unconscionable racism. It helped me understand the extreme exuberance (without regard to politics) over the election of our first black president. We have come a long way in the last 65 years.

MIKE M. -- Yes, about a week ago I watched the charming 1933 comedy "Lady Killer" on DVD, starring James Cagney and Dubuquer Margaret Lindsay. When it originally came out, the Chicago Tribune's Mae Tinee (a pen name for an assortment of reviewers adopting a chatty persona) called this movie "zestful, punchful and smartly dialogued," and an "A-1 vehicle for pugnacious, popular and unpulchritudinous James Cagney."
BEKAH P. -- Of course I have! First and foremost, "Frost/Nixon," which is spectacular. Then, my fiancé and I had an old movie marathon the other night, where we watched (in this particular order), "Arsenic & Old Lace" with Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" and then "Casablanca." Stellar, all of them. It's part of our plan to watch all the movies on Robert Ebert's 102 Movies You Must See list.
MARY N.-P. -- Since we never see first-run movies on their first run, I'll have to go with a classic I just rented to see with my 91-year-old mom -- "To Kill a Mockingbird." I had forgotten how excellent it was, from acting to cinematography, it is superb (not to mention, it's a hard-hitting story).
ERIK H. -- I had only seen snippets of Hal Ashby's "Harold and Maude" until I watched it on Turner Classic Movies a little while ago. I was surprised at how much laughter it generated. Perhaps more surprising was discovering how influential the film has been, particularly on filmmakers such as Wes Anderson. I also thought the pop music soundtrack (featuring Cat Stevens) was at least a decade ahead of its time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home