Monday, February 02, 2009

Check out the classy Fender Jazzmasters on the cover!

I felt like I was being featured in some weird QUENTIN TARANTINO film -- an odd movie about a guy who drives to a bar to interview people watching the SUPER BOWL.
I was listening to "WALK DON'T RUN: THE VERY BEST OF THE VENTURES" while I traveled to and from an assignment at work yesterday.
Formed in TACOMA, WASH., in 1958, the Ventures are arguably America's greatest instrumental rock band (sorry Tortoise).
"Walk Don't Run," "Perfidia" and "Hawaii Five-O" are the songs most people remember. I love their cover of The Beatles' "I Feel Fine" the best.
The pioneering guitar work of co-leaders DON WILSON and BOB BOGLE has been so influential, people have dubbed the Ventures "The Band that Launched a Thousand Bands."
I felt like I was in a Tarantino film, because the filmmaker has long seasoned his movies with cool, twangy songs. Nobody did cool, twangy songs quite like The Ventures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

One of the very first 45s I "owned" was "Walk, Don't Run." I acquired it about 1964, when I was 9 or 10, from an Uncle.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home