Saturday, January 31, 2009

A movie and a boxer

Apparently the WES ANDERSON film "RUSHMORE" is polarizing: People apparently love it or hate it.
I frankly don't see the conflict. I watched it again last night, and I love "Rushmore."
Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman): So tell me Curly, how do you know Miss Cross?

Dr. Peter Flynn (Luke Wilson): We went to Harvard together.
Max Fischer: Oh that's great. I wrote a hit play and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.
I find "Rushmore" funny and endearing, a little bittersweet and boasting an absolutely brilliant soundtrack, which homages "Harold and Maude" through the use of two songs by CAT STEVENS.
Did I mention I find it funny? Cue Max:

"Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks."
If you haven't seen "Rushmore" in a while, see it again. You might be pleasantly surprised.
ALSO:
I would be remiss today not to pay tribute to my late dad's favorite boxer.
INGEMAR JOHANSSON died yesterday, age 76.
My dad told me many stories about how Johansson defeated Floyd Patterson to win the World Heavyweight Championship in June 1959. Patterson beat Johansson to recover the title in a later rematch, but not before Johansson was named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home