Thursday, February 12, 2009

My favorite Miles Davis album... for today

Being sick has given me plenty of opportunity to listen to music.
Trumpeter Wallace Roney once rated "MILESTONES" as "one of the greatest" recordings in jazz history, even ahead of another legendary work by MILES DAVIS, "KIND OF BLUE."
After intense listening, I am now inclined to agree with Roney: "MILESTONES" is my favorite Davis album, at least as of today.
Here are some reasons why:
1) PHILLY JOE JONES.
"Even after he left, I would listen for a little of Philly Joe in all the drummers I had later," Miles wrote in his autobiography.
On the modal title track of "Milestones," Jones anchors the piece using what became known as the "Philly Joe lick" -- a cross-stick accent on the fourth beat of each bar. The rim-shot lick provides rhythmic impetus to a tune that gives the soloists freer rein than in a song based on changing chords.
2) The RED GARLAND trio showcase "Billy Boy" doesn't get much love from critics, but I find it a pleasant-enough jazz tune for piano, bass and drums.
Huh? No horns?
Yeah -- I still can't believe that Davis (and the other horn players) would lay out (not play) on a song on a Miles Davis album. That's how cool Miles Davis was: He didn't even have to play on his own dang songs.
3) JOHN COLTRANE.
"Coltrane was urgent, compulsive, blowing floods of notes as if he hadn't enough time to get everything in he had to say," wrote Davis biographer Ian Carr.
How *DID* John Coltrane play like that?
I can't understand how a person could play so many notes in such a short span and make it sound good. Any other person attempting to play so many notes at once would probably create a jarring cacophony. Not 'Trane.
So, tomorrow my head will hopefully clear, and I might even have a different Miles Davis album listed as my favorite. Today, though, "MILESTONES" tops that particular chart -- for good reasons, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home