Monday, October 27, 2008

A short blast of country from the band that could do anything

Any record that opens with "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is a winner in my book.
"PRETZEL LOGIC" by STEELY DAN also benefits from the contributions of some memorable musicians, including Plas Johnson (the saxophonist on Henry Mancini's "The Pink Panther Theme"), Timothy B. Schmit, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter and Jeff Porcaro -- in addition to the core duo of DONALD FAGEN and WALTER BECKER.
I have often thought that "Pretzel Logic" stands far above so many other albums because this collection of musicians could play anything they wanted.
Listening to the song "WITH A GUN," I am more convinced of this theory than before.
"You were the founders of the clinic on the hill, until he caught you with your fingers in the till. He slapped your hand so you settled up your bill... with a gun."
A delight in two minutes and 20 seconds, "With a Gun" proves supposedly "jazz-rock" Steely Dan could play country as well.
I have been immersed in my Steely Dan records the past two days, and the more I listen, the more impressed I become. This band really could do anything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nebukadnessar Stephenson and Sigurd Huckle said...

A post I thoroughly agree with! The beauty of Steely Dan is that you can go back to the records and never tire of them. There's always something new to be found and enjoyed.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Brian Cooper said...

My favorite Steely Dan song is "My Old School." Wonder what the story/inspiration for it is.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home