Saturday, October 25, 2008

Arriving late to a "Million Dollar Bash"

I've never really been one for the conventional way of doing things, so perhaps it shouldn't come as a complete surprise that I am only just now delving into "THE BASEMENT TAPES," despite a long familiarity with cover versions of many of the songs.
I knew "You Ain't Going Nowhere" and "Nothing Was Delivered," for example, because of my love for THE BYRDS' "SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO." My familiarity with "Tears of Rage" and "This Wheel's On Fire" came from my adoration of THE BAND.
It's actually my own fault that I have come so late to "The Basement Tapes." I never realized it is nearly as much an album by The Band as it is BOB DYLAN.
I have been reappraising my relationship to Dylan's music lately, discovering a greater appreciation than before. I learned I had much catching up to do.
It is slightly odd but immensely satisfying, then, to hear these familiar songs in the unfamiliar (to me) original setting.

2 Comments:

Blogger kbecketti said...

You may enjoy reading "Million Dollar Bash: Bob Dylan, The Band, and The Basement Tapes", by Sid Griffin. Full disclosure, I work for the publisher, Jawbone Press, but I stand by my recommendation as a BobHead. An informative and entertaining companion to the listening experience. Cheers!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Bob Dylan will be in La Crosse this November 5:

http://tinyurl.com/59r4vy

And Willie Nelson in Dubuque on December 4. I wish I could go to both!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home