Wednesday, July 02, 2008

So long, Sonics

As a PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS fan, I admit I can't stand the SEATTLE SUPERSONICS.
I also admit I can't stand to see them go.
A settlement in a lawsuit involving the Sonics' ownership and Seattle civic officials means the team will be allowed to relocate to OKLAHOMA CITY.
I have nothing against Oklahoma City, but I hate to see franchises uprooted.
I feel sorry for the people who grew up in the Pacific Northwest and cheered for the likes of "Downtown" Freddie Brown, Jack Sikma, Dennis Johnson, Paul Silas, Xavier McDaniel and Shawn Kemp.
The Blazers lost their fiercest local rival today, but the basketball fans of Seattle lost a lot more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ned Merrill said...

A shameful day for David Stern and the NBA. I suppose the only silver lining is that the Sonics owners will leave the name, logo, and colors with the city of Seattle, which the city can use if it's lucky enough to get another franchise. Apparently, the league will require improvements be made to Key Arena for this to be a possibility.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home