Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Guitar heroes never really go away

The DINOSAUR JR. song "THUMB" opens with one of the most memorable Mellotron solos since the opening of "Stairway to Heaven."
Shortly after, Dino's leader J. MASCIS is back to doing what he does so well: Playing the heck out of a guitar.
ANNIKA and I listened to "EAR-BLEEDING COUNTRY," a Dino "best-of" compilation as we drove home tonight from soccer practice.
Mascis can play a guitar solo as well as any classic rocker, which came as a surprise to the ALTERNATIVE ROCK FANS of the late 1980s and early 1990s. I know, because I was among them. I always had a soft spot for the Led Zeppelin and AC/DC sound, though, so I welcomed Mascis and his guitar heroics. It might not have been very "punk," but it certainly was "rock."
Occasional ROUTE 1 reader JUSTIN F. lent me Dinosaur Jr.'s "comeback" release, "BEYOND," and listening to it, I am happy to report Mascis has lost none of his chops. I guess guitar heroes never really go away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home