Sunday, July 13, 2008

Shout to the top

Today's cloudless blue skies and pleasantly warm weather immediately brought to mind the early 1980s and lazy summer days in SEBASTOPOL, CALIF., and lazy summer days in Sebastopol immediately brought to mind THE STYLE COUNCIL.
As a result, the girls and I listened to a CD of The Style Council's singles en route to the mall, where KERSTIN spent some of her birthday money.
I admit: It took me years to properly warm to the breezy, jazzy sound of The Style Council. That's because I was one of those fans of THE JAM who felt betrayed when leader PAUL WELLER broke up his original band.
My stance has mellowed over the years (heck, I even like Paul Young now), and listening to such Style Council songs as "Shout to the Top," "My Ever Changing Moods" and "Long Hot Summer" today brought back memories of endless days of cloudless blue skies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ned Merrill said...

I'm hard-pressed to find a more under-appreciated musician than Paul Weller. I know he's celebrated in the U.K., but it astounds me how Weller has never captured the fancy of (sizable) U.S. audiences whether with the Jam, the Style Council, or solo. The failure of Stateside audiences to really embrace the Jam is especially galling. I wish the full version of SNAP would hit CD.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home