Saturday, July 19, 2008

"They have come for your uncool niece"

I really don't want to go to work today.
I have to drive to CASSVILLE, WIS., to cover a festival of twins.
I can think of at least 12 things I would rather be doing. But I am resigned to my task. I know covering the festival must occur and I am the one to do it.
That's why I am listening to the DEAD KENNEDYS right now, before I head to the office. I can enjoy some vicarious lashing out at authority.
JELLO BIAFRA and the gang never thought much of authority, as evidenced by the sinister/humorous classic "CALIFORNIA ÜBER ALLES."
The song imagines then-Gov. JERRY BROWN taking control of society, creating a dystopian future where kids are forced to meditate at school and the happy face becomes the symbol of totalitarianism.
"Zen fascists will control you," Biafra sings.
I'll sing it to myself, later today, as I arrive to interview a town full of lookalikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home