Friday, February 22, 2008

Red carpet? Check. Gold statuette? Check. Friday Question about favorite films? Check.

"Oscar Weekend" has arrived!
ROUTE 1 readers celebrate by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite film from this past movie season?"
KERI M. -- "Juno."
JIM S. -- It wasn't one of the better years for Hollywood, in my humble opinion. But I enjoyed several. "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford" was a fascinating film with some great visual effects. It's a bit slow, but perhaps on purpose to study the psychological side of Ford (played brilliantly by Casey Affleck) and how his "assassination" was viewed by society at that time. Others I really liked were "Hairspray," "3:10 to Yuma" and, like almost everyone else, "Juno."
ANNIKA H. -- "Evan Almighty."
RICK T. -- "Wild Hogs." Funny movie. If you didn't laugh, you might want to be checked out, because you're most likely dead.
MIKE D. -- I only saw four-and-a-half movies at the theater during the past year: "Happy Feet," "Live Free or Die Hard," "Surf's Up," "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and "Spiderman 3" (arrived very late). My favorite was the Die Hard film. Not bad for the fourth in a series.

INGER H. -- "No Country For Old Men" was spectacular. I just love-love-love when I cannot tell where a movie is going, and this one had that quality in spades. Also, Javier Bardem was super-spooky. Besides, he should get an award just for having to put up with that haircut during filming. Poor guy.
MIKE M. -- Since I have small children, I'm still waiting to see a lot of movies from the past season. I'm especially eager to see the Bob Dylan movie "I'm Not There." "Ratatouille" was OK. If I'd been the food critic, the rats would've served chicken-fried steak. Or maybe grits.
CLINT A. -- "Into the Wild." Great music, wicked awesome photography, good story, sad ending...
KERSTIN H. -- "Juno."
LISA Y. -- "Juno" is my most recent favorite. Did you know the old theater at the mall will soon be opened with independent films running? Should be cool...
ERIK H. -- I enjoyed "Juno" (Ellen Page is great), but for sheer technical brilliance, my favorite is the Oscar-nominated animated short "Madame Tutli-Putli" by Montreal filmmakers Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski.
The film chronicles a woman's dreamlike/nightmarish train journey through a chilling forest by night.
The filmmakers used stop-motion animation to render the tale. The puppets used as characters are incredible, thanks in large part to a collaboration with portrait artist Jason Walker. Walker devised a revolutionary production process that gave the stop-motion puppets expressive, human eyes.
To learn more about "Madame Tutli-Putli," go to the film's Web site, located here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home