Monday, February 18, 2008

I love it I love it I love it I love it

I have been reading "THINGS FALL APART" by CHINUA ACHEBE.
The book is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, and if you have never read it or if you haven't read it in ages, you really should pick up a copy.
Achebe's novel looks at the life of Okonkwo, an Ibo villager in present-day Nigeria.
Okonkwo's traditional values come under threat when Christian missionaries and British colonial government moves into his village.
"Things Fall Apart" is now considered the archetypal modern African novel.
I don't argue with that. I just know for sure that the book is an amazing read, offering access to a culture that has since been submerged by Christianity and Islam.
I have always been fascinated by Nigeria -- a nation so populous that one in seven Africans calls it home.
That fascination has deepened thanks to "Things Fall Apart."
It is also a novel that has warmed me during these seemingly endless days of winter bleakness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home