Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette"

Every once in a while, I feel the need to watch "DONNIE DARKO" again.
Richard Kelly's 2001 film might be impenetrable for a lot of people -- it is impenetrable for me sometimes -- but I love it.
It makes me think and enjoy myself, which is all I really need from a film.
The cast is outstanding -- Jake Gyllenhaal's performance made his career -- and the music is wonderful.
I might never really understand what Kelly was trying to impart with this film, but I will always return to it every once in a while.
I never tire of trying to understand it all.
"A storm is coming, Frank says/A storm that will swallow the children/And I will deliver them from the kingdom of pain/I will deliver the children back to their doorsteps."