Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"Like a bubble headed for trouble"

My re-acquaintance with SEVENTIES POP MUSIC continued today, as I kept replaying POLLY BROWN'S "UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE."
The Birmingham, England singer's 1975 single hit No. 16 on the American chart.
I loved that song back then, and I love it still.
Brown was the lead singer of the British bubblegum group PICKETTYWITCH before striking out on her own.
Like many songs from that era, "Up in a Puff of Smoke" combines an infectiously catchy melody with downbeat lyrics bordering on the suicidal.
"And I'm all choked up inside, to see my dreams just turn into ashes and all my hopes go up in a puff of smoke."
Did the people who bought the single really listen to the words?
I thought the 1970s were the "smiley face" decade?
I couldn't help myself -- I sang along to "Up in a Puff of Smoke" every time I heard it today.