Saturday, February 09, 2008

Just between you and me, there's something about Nova Scotia

I am listening to APRIL WINE and their 1981 hit "Just Between You and Me" and wondering what characteristic of NOVA SCOTIA helps the province maintain itself as a prime breeding ground for iconic music.
We have got a WIND CHILL WARNING for tonight and tomorrow and extreme cold weather always gets me in the mood for CANADIAN MUSIC.
At least five leading solo artists or bands have hailed from Nouvelle-Ecosse:
1) Hank Snow, Brooklyn, N.S.
2) Anne Murray, Springhill, N.S.
3) April Wine, Waverley, N.S.
4) Sarah McLachlan, Halifax, N.S.
5) Sloan, Halifax, N.S.
My guess is that the harsh, wind-whipped Maritimes climate keeps fledgling musicians cooped up in their rehearsal spaces for lengthy -- and ultimately productive -- periods of time. (The Scottish and Acadian folk music heritage probably plays a key role as well.)
I'll think about that theory today as I venture out into our cold day to cover an auto show. Brrrr...!
Ahh... I just heard that bit in "Just Between You and Me" where they sing in French. That bit gets me every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home