Saturday, February 16, 2008

I wish I felt more like Barnsley

Instead, I feel like vanquished Liverpool.
Brian Howard scored in the dying seconds of stoppage time and visiting BARNSLEY of the Championship knocked Premiership LIVERPOOL from the FA Cup, 2-1, in a match I watched live on television this morning.
After the match, I struggled with the girls to get them to clean their rooms. Neither girl made much effort despite my pleadings, and I even got into a heated argument with my 12-year-old daughter Kerstin about household responsibilities.
I returned to the kitchen to finish my chores, but my FRUSTRATION would not ebb. When an "unbreakable" plastic glass slipped out of my hand while washing the dishes, I picked the glass up and threw it back down onto the floor as hard as I possibly could.
It exploded and shards scattered across the kitchen floor.
I calmed down, swept the plastic, finished cleaning the kitchen and nobody got hurt.
After getting the kitchen as spotless as I could make it, I sat listening to my 1970s music playlist. I smiled during Cat Stevens' "Wild World," but I lost it during James Taylor's "Fire and Rain."
When he sang "But I always thought that I'd see you again" I was reminded that yesterday would have been my dad's 81st birthday.
MY DAD passed away in 1992, and I am pretty sure he never hurled plastic glasses when he was unable to get his kids to clean their rooms.
Barnsley remained on the field after their victory today and celebrated with their small group of ecstatic, traveling supporters. Liverpool slunk back to their changing rooms, defeated.
That's how I feel this afternoon -- more like Liverpool than Barnsley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home