Monday, December 10, 2007

"and he brought home the bacon so that no one knew..."

I am off today, sipping coffee, watching videos on YouTube and marveling at how the leaders of two of the quirkiest groups of my high school days are now award-winning, well-regarded soundtrack composers.
I never saw that coming!
DANNY ELFMAN (pictured) led the great OINGO BOINGO. I have watched the videos for "Little Girls" (see it here) and the wonderful "Stay" (see it here).
Most people probably remember Oingo Boingo for "Weird Science." That would be a shame, if that is the only legacy. There was so much more to the band. In fact, my estimation of Oingo Boingo has grown in the quarter century (gulp!) since I first heard them.
Elfman, born May 29, 1953, eventually won awards for his compositions for "Tim Burton's Batman" and "Desperate Housewives," among many other projects.
MARK MOTHERSBAUGH helped lead DEVO. The videos for "Jocko Homo" (see it here) and "Mongoloid" (see it here) demonstrate what can happen when art students gain access to the band room. Think DEVO couldn't create insidiously catchy, memorable music? Then you haven't heard "Whip It" in a while!
Mothersbaugh, born May 18, 1950, has scored the Wes Anderson films but is probably best-known in the soundtrack world as the creator of the "Rugrats" theme.
Is it a coincidence that these quirkiest of bands spawned film composers? I don't think so. I listen to the Oingo Boingo and DEVO tracks today, and I hear the creativity simply bursting from the seams. Surely, the creators of this music required additional avenues of expression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home