Thursday, December 06, 2007

Many surreal elements

There were many surreal elements to my day. I covered a trial, which is something outside the realm of my workaday norm. I also received a press release I never thought I would see. I had to write a pair of high-profile newspaper stories in the course of about one hour and 45 minutes.
After a furious stint of writing, I drove home in yet another surreal environment -- a heavy snowstorm.
I still feel uncomfortable driving in snow, so I knew I needed to hear something while driving home.
I chose "Djed," the 21-minute opener to "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" by Chicago post-rock band Tortoise.
I could concentrate on the various components to this complex instrumental with one side of my brain, while concentrating on steering my car down unplowed roads with the other side of my brain.
"Djed" provided a wonderful complement to the surreal atmosphere that seemed to surround me all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home