Friday, November 30, 2007

I know I am supposed to like _____, but I just don't

Welcome back to another illuminating and exciting edition of the ROUTE 1 exclusive FRIDAY QUESTION!
This week, ROUTE 1 readers stir the pot by answering the following question:
"What song or artist *SHOULD* you like, but for some reason you just don't?"
Rick Tittle -- The group Rascal Flatts, especially the lead singer.
Laura C. -- P.J. Harvey. I *respect* her... and I *want* to like her, but I can only listen to three songs before her voice starts to grate on me. Also, Belle & Sebastian... for almost diametrically opposite reasons. They have a couple songs I find really lovely, but ultimately they are just a bit too soft and fey for me.
Jill H. -- Mika.
Brian C. -- As a Beatles fan, I SHOULD like the Paul McCartney CD released through Starbucks, "Memory Almost Full." But I don't. A song or two is OK, but not enough for me to buy it. Sorry, Sir Paul.
Dave B. -- I should like Peter Gabriel more than I do. He has some great songs, but because of that stupid song "Sledgehammer," I cannot give him the love I give to even lesser singers or groups.
Jim S. -- I suppose "Stairway to Heaven," by Led Zeppelin. Seems everybody else does. I guess I've heard it too often and I believe it's over-rated.
Ellen B. -- Carrie Underwood. But I am not a country music fan!
Mary N.-P. -- OK. I'm going to answer a bit off the mark and name a genre instead of an artist/song. For me, it's anything "jazz" -- it has never resonated with me (too much all-over-the-place improvising for my taste and no primal beat).
Mike M. -- Don't tell the Dubuque Phlockers Parrot Head Club (find them here), but my suspicion of Jimmy Buffett's sleaziness was confirmed when he was shown on "60 Minutes" playing at a private birthday party for the wife of Tyco CEO Dennis Kozlowski. Some of the $2 million party was paid for with company funds, and Kozlowski was later charged with grand larceny and sentenced to eight years in prison.
Erik H. -- Everybody seems to venerate them as the archetypal American roots rock band, and even my late jazz-obsessed dad owned a copy of "Cosmo's Factory." Still, I have never properly warmed to Creedence Clearwater Revival.
I like "Lodi," and "Bad Moon Rising," if pressed. However, the rest of the songs seem to sound alike to me. When I hear Ike and Tina Turner's version of "Proud Mary," I yell "right on!" When I hear the CCR original, I muttered "them again?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home