Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Gary Glitter question

I am completely exhausted today -- a day after seeing off the girls as they flew to Mexico and a day that also included a drive through an ice storm.
Now I am laying around the house, listening to music and staring at the cover of a vinyl EP I cherished in high school: "Glitter and Gold."
Epic Records released this six-track, 10-inch collection of GARY GLITTER tunes in 1980, about eight years after the songs stormed the UK singles charts. Side one includes "Rock and Roll, Part One" (the vocal version), "Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah!)" and "Hello Hello I'm Back Again." Side two includes "I Didn't Know I Loved You (Till I Saw You Rock and Roll)," "I'm The Leader of the Gang (I Am)" and "Rock and Roll, Part Two" (the instrumental version played in sports arenas around the world).
I am listening to songs and thinking:
"Am I still allowed to like these songs, given what we now know about Glitter, jailed in Vietnam on child sexual abuse?"
I have to admit, it is hard for me to *NOT* like these six songs. I spun this disk routinely during my high school days.
As Bruce Harris wrote on the back-cover liner notes:
"His music pumps, thumps and throbs with all the power and soul of ROCK while delivering the sleazy edge of ROLL with pre-Disco danceability and pre-techno pop snap."
So, can I like the songs and not the singer?

1 Comments:

Blogger Everyday Matheson said...

He. Is. So. Creepy.

I can't like the song,
becasue I always associate hime with it.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home