Friday, July 06, 2007

Summer classics

The sun beats down, sweat fills the eyes, throats turn dry and waves of heat seem to ripple up from the scorching pavement.
It must be summer!
But we wouldn't know it... we're listening to summer-related music inside while enjoying the air conditioning.
This week, ROUTE 1 asks the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is the best 'summer song' you have recently heard?"
Rick T. -- "Summertime Blues" by Eddie Cochran.
Dave B. -- Hooters' "And We Danced." Every time I hear that song, it reminds me of the Summer of 1985.
Mike D. -- "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys. It always reminds me of the 1980s Sunkist orange soda commercials, which gave the song new life. Another seasonal oldie I heard recently was Y&T's "Summertime Girls," whose video featured bikinied babes on a beach. And of course, the guitar work just sizzles on The Eagles' "Hotel California" ("...sweet summer sweat.") You can just see the wavering mirage as the sun sets on the sandy horizon as you listen to the ending solo. Pass the lemonade!
Brian C. -- Even after all these years, "Hot Fun in the Summertime," by Sly and the Family Stone, still conveys the gentle, carefree days of summer.
Mike M. -- Most definitely "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry. Runners-up: "Rhyme for the Summertime" by G. Love and Special Sauce and "Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes. All heard today on "A Paean to the Music of Summer" at NPR.org.
Erik H. -- I heard it the other day and it just struck me as the ultimate summer anthem: "Round round get around, I get around, yeah, get around round round I get around, I get around." Not all of Brian Wilson's genius songs are complicated!
"We always take my car cause it's never been beat, And we've never missed yet with the girls we meet."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home