Tuesday, July 03, 2007

"He's bluffing, he wouldn't shoot the nose"

I was in need of a laugh last night.
I had to write a story about fatality rates of auto accidents at work, the national and international news was filled with stories about President Bush stepping in to spare a convicted aide from jail and doctors joining in the British terrorist attacks, and when I returned from work it was to an empty house -- except for the cats -- as my wife Jill and daughters Kerstin and Annika were out of town.
Last night, I needed the sort of laugh that Woody Allen provided in "SLEEPER:"
"I'm what you would call a teleological, existential atheist. I believe that there's an intelligence to the universe, with the exception of certain parts of New Jersey."
It had been years since I saw this 1973 film in its entirety.
I was always struck by its combination of an automated, future dystopia and silent-film-era sight gags.
Last night, I concentrated on the witty dialogue:
"When I asked my mother where babies came from, she thought I said 'rabies.' She said you get them from being bitten by a dog. The next week, a woman on my block gave birth to triplets... I thought she'd been bitten by a great dane."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home