Sunday, June 24, 2007

St. Louis' Fourth Best Country Band

I'm waiting for the Giants-Yankees game on the radio (courtesy of MLB.com's Gameday Audio service). So I am sipping a glass of wine and listening to UNCLE TUPELO.
I can't help but sing along:
"Climbing up the ladder, breaking my shin on the very first rung/Waking up the neighbors, It's all right, they understand we're just as dumb."

There are times -- mostly when I am sipping a glass of wine and listening to them -- that I think UNCLE TUPELO might be the best American band of the past 25 years or so.
Sure, Jeff Tweedy's subsequent Wilco will garner a lot of votes if you polled people on the subject. Guided by Voices are great. The Old 97's are superb, too. There are tons of great bands.
But do they match the musical prowess and influence of UNCLE TUPELO?
I am not so sure. There was some special chemistry when Tweedy and Jay Farrar combined forces -- a "lightning in a bottle" sensation.
UNCLE TUPELO might only be "St. Louis' Fourth Best Country Band," as they ironically billed themselves on old posters, but they might only be the best American band in generations, too.
POSTSCRIPT:
Former GIANTS' closer Rod Beck has passed away, age 38. "Shooter" recorded 48 saves for San Francisco in 1993. R.I.P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home