Friday, June 22, 2007

Cinema's bad, bad, bad boys (and girls)

Film villains have been around since the beginning of films, tying damsels to the train tracks and performing a whole host of other dastardly deeds.
This week, ROUTE 1 readers recall cinema's bad crowd by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"Who is your favorite screen villain?"
Inger H. -- Though not really a screen villain in any kind of usual sense, Norma Desmond's bat-sh*t crazy, manipulative and spaced-out character in Sunset Boulevard is a true screen original. "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr DeVille!"
Rick T. -- Lon Chaney.
Bob H. -- It's hard to decide who is the most villainous, Gary Oldman ("Air Force One," "Batman Begins," etc.) or Liam Neeson ("Batman Begins," "Harry Potter," etc.) They both have played some pretty mean modern-day villains.
Scout S. -- My co-worker Matt offers Dennis Hopper's Frank Booth from "Blue Velvet." I, myself, prefer Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty in "Blade Runner." Later, we will fight about this THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.
Mike D. -- In anticipation of this summer's "Die Hard" sequel, I've had the original (1988) movie on my mind lately. Alan Rickman created a memorable villain in his portrayal of terrorist Hans Gruber. He was a self-anointed genius packaged in '80s-slick. A modern take on the bumbling crook, and it worked perfectly for a film that ushered in a new genre of action/adventure styled with comedic quips.
Madelin F. -- The Wicked Witch of the West.
Mike M. -- It's impossible to pick one favorite. Max Schreck in "Nosferatu," Yul Brynner in "Westworld," Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction," Robert De Niro in "Cape Fear," Ben Kingsley in "Sexy Beast." I've been reading that Javier Bardem is excellent in "No Country for Old Men," coming to theaters November 2007.
Lisa Y. -- Maybe Jack Nicholson in that movie with Tom Cruise ("A Few Good Men") when he screams "You can't handle the truth!" Cheesy? Maybe, but it was the first person I thought of. Of course, I like him in any kind of role.
Erik H. -- Robert Mitchum as Rev. Harry Powell in Charles Laughton's "The Night of the Hunter." Everyone remembers the "L-O-V-E" and "H-A-T-E" tattooed on his fingers, but what really gets me is how coldly and calmly he attempts to capture the children:
"I can hear you whisperin' children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience children. I'm coming to find you now."
It spooks the heck out of me every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home