Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cool Father's Day Struttin'

I'm not sure if my late father had any Sonny Clark albums. George Walter Hogstrom was a voracious jazz record collector, so in all likelihood he had some Clark discs.
I have been playing the heck out of my Sonny Clark albums today, including "Cool Struttin'" -- a 1958 gem.
Check out the cover... the GRAPHIC DESIGN GENIUS OF REID MILES strikes again.
The music is equally memorable. Trumpeter Art Farmer and alto saxophonist Jackie McLean form a great front line. The rhythm section joining pianist Clark is outstanding -- bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Philly Joe Jones of Miles Davis fame.
Clark was an underrated composer, based on the swinging title track and the follow-up tune, "Blue Minor." The band also perform Davis' "Sippin' at Bells" and the pop standard "Deep Night."
This album is one of those records -- jazz or otherwise -- that I could hear all day long.
In fact, seeing how this is Father's Day, I think I will play it all day long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home