Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Washing away the dust of everyday life

Yesterday was what I would term "a crappy day," for a variety of reasons.
I am solo parenting this week because my wife Jill is on a business trip, and yesterday's workday included two stories for me to write as well as an hour-long meeting that came right after I picked up youngest daughter Annika from her talented-and-gifted summer school classes. Add a 7:40 p.m. youth soccer game to the mix, and I was tired and cranky when the "day" finally ended at 9:05 p.m.
I sought comfort in music.
"Music is supposed to wash away the dust of every day life from your feet," said Art Blakey (pictured), whose Jazz Messengers introduced countless great players to audiences for more than three decades.
Last night, I relaxed by creating an "Art Blakey" styled station on Internet radio station Pandora.com.
Soon, the music of Blakey, Clifford Brown, Jackie McLean, Donald Byrd and others was washing away the dust created by a less-than-perfect day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home