Saturday, June 30, 2007

DJ Trev, I salute you!

The package came as a surprise, but only because its arrival had slipped my mind.
One of my birthday presents (May 3, in case you need to plan for next year) was unique: My sister purchased a year's subscription to the mix-CD series of San Francisco's DJ Trev. She purchased it as part of an online auction to raise funds for a friend of ours who needed some help in her successful cancer fight.
Anyhow -- My sister told me about the present when I was visiting the Bay Area in May and then I promptly forgot all about... until the first three CDs arrived in the mail today!
DJ Trev's eclectic mixes are fabulous!
My wife Jill and I listened to them as I drove her down to Cedar Rapids, Iowa today.
Trev couples Arcade Fire with Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood, Joseph Arthur with Sloan and Ornette Coleman with the Shins -- and it all works.
Hearing his mixes is like listening to an impressively hip alternative radio station that is not afraid to throw a little jazz (Miles Davis, Bill Evans) into its indie playlist featuring the likes of Art Brut and TV on the Radio.
Although I was familiar with many of the artists, I actually only had two songs on the first three CDs already in my collection ("Psychotic Reaction" by San Jose savants the Count Five and "Cabin Essence" by Brian Wilson). That means most of the music is all new for me!
Right now, I am singing along to the Long Blondes (from SHEFFIELD!) and their anthemic slice of updated power pop, "Once and Never Again."
"You're only nineteen for God's sake, you don't need a boyfriend."
Classic stuff... I am sure I will be loving this stuff for days and days and days.
Thanks Inger. And thank you, too, DJ Trev.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home