Saturday, June 02, 2007

Giants, gypsy jazz and Gleason gem

Zzzz... HUH!... Yawn...
I just woke up.
I was listening to the visiting GIANTS against the Phillies (on KNBR radio, via MLB.com) and I must have fallen asleep sometime in the bottom of the seventh inning. I blame my continuing jet lag and apparent inability to adapt to Central Daylight Time.
Philadelphia beat the Giants, 5-2, with Cole Hamels striking out five San Francisco batters during a complete-game victory. Good thing I fell asleep: I missed the end of yet another San Francisco loss.
Earlier, I listened to guitarist Django Reinhardt, violinist Stephane Grappelli, and their intoxicating album "Swing 39" that the pair recorded in Paris on the eve of World War II as part of the legendary Quintette du Hot Club de France. Critics sometimes refer to Reinhardt's swinging, creative style as "gypsy jazz."
Reinhardt, arguably the first great jazz guitarist, was famously born in a gypsy caravan in Belgium. Reinhardt was equally famous for his "gypsy ways" -- he would fail to show for high-paying gigs, only to turn up down the street playing for free.
I listened to "Swing 39" while reading more of RALPH J. GLEASON's "Celebrating Duke."
The longtime San Francisco Chronicle jazz critic, Gleason also helped co-found Rolling Stone magazine.
His writings often reflect my views entirely. For example...
"I could no more stop listening to music than I could stop breathing," Gleason wrote, "and they will happen at the same time when they do."
Right on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home