Friday, May 25, 2007

LIVE from San Francisco -- It's FRIDAY QUESTION time!

Yawn! What day is it?
Is it Friday already? Really?
You lose all track of the calendar when you are on vacation. Besides, I am still tired this morning after our big day in Santa Cruz yesterday (we sat in the FIRST CAR on the Beach Boardwalk's "Giant Dipper" wooden roller coaster... weee!).
But the show must go on, as they say in the business, so here goes...
This week, ROUTE 1 readers considered the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"Who is your favorite musical artists from the San Francisco Bay Area?"
Mary N.-P. -- OK, I'll admit, since I don't pay attention to where bands and singers actually come from, I had to do some research on this. I found that the following of my favs have Golden Gate roots: the Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Santana. Am I showing my age here?
Mike D -- Journey.
Rob K. -- I have several, but none are from San Francisco.
Kerstin H. -- The Pointer Sisters.
Scout S. -- If Inger says the Bellyachers and not Firecracker, let her know that I will cut her.
Inger H. -- That's easy! The Bellyach--... I mean, Firecracker!
Erik H. -- I have a different favorite every day, but today my favorite is the Syndicate of Sound. This San Jose band scored one big hit in 1966, "Little Girl," a garage-rock classic that reached No. 8 on the charts. They tried several times to duplicate their success, but their efforts at greater fame were stymied by a short-sighted manager who turned down a support slot on The Beatles' 1966 North American tour. The manager thought the band wouldn't make enough money, and instead shipped them off on a tour with Paul Revere & The Raiders. The band wondered if the manager had ever heard of MASS EXPOSURE, which is sometimes worth more than money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home