Monday, May 21, 2007

It's summer. Wanna know how I know?

It must be summer!
Don't worry about what the calendar says.
I know it is summer.
I just tripped over a bag full of soccer gear that one of the girls left in the middle of the floor. My toe is numb. I hope it isn't broken.
Soccer bags left in the middle of the floor? It must be summer!
I also know it's summer because I have a hankering for some EDDIE HARRIS (pictured).
Early in the 60s, Harris recorded a version of the theme to the film "Exodus" that became a huge hit. Thenceforth, the Chicago-born tenor saxophone player could do no right in the eyes of haughty jazz purists.
So what!
By the end of the 60s, Harris teamed with pianist LES McCANN and the pair produced one of the all-time classic soul-jazz albums, "Swiss Movement."
Recorded live at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, the album provides the perfect soundtrack for a warm, sunny day like today.
I have pushed the soccer bag into a corner (no more tripping!) and I am listening to the Harris original "Cold Duck Time" as I eat breakfast and prepare for work. The song really swings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home