Wednesday, May 16, 2007

One of those neo-poseur types that hangs out in coffee shops

"Slacker" is not for everybody.
Richard Linklater's 1991 feature has no plot, and its transition from vignette to vignette leaves little opportunity for character development.
It seems more like a European film, as the camera focuses on one character, then loses interest and moves on to another.
However, the film is funny and presents its burgeoning collection of Austin, Texas artists and eccentrics with an unbiased eye.
I watched it a couple times recently, after checking out the DVD from the library.
I crack up every time Teresa Taylor (pictured) attempts to sell Madonna's pap smear.
I also enjoyed the "Video Backpacker" scene, when the video-obsessed man says:
"To me, my thing is, a video image is much more powerful and useful than an actual event."
I like "Slacker," although "Dazed and Confused" will probably always remain my favorite Linklater film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home