Monday, May 07, 2007

West Coast Blues

It is always hard saying goodbye to my mom.
Distance keeps us apart. She lives in Reno and I live in Dubuque.
I drove my mom down to the Quad City International Airport today for her return trip after a week's visit.
I probably won't see her again until December.
After parting, I got back in the car and pointed it north. I rolled down the windows and turned up "THE INCREDIBLE JAZZ GUITAR OF WES MONTGOMERY." This wonderful, 1960 classic album blared out of my car speakers as mile after mile of boring roadway whizzed past.
Montgomery worked a day job while gigging incessantly as a relative unknown early in his career in Indianapolis. He worked too hard, probably. Eight years after his breakthrough,
"THE INCREDIBLE JAZZ GUITAR OF WES MONTGOMERY," he was dead of a heart attack at age 43.
He made some memorably beautiful music, however. His specialty was playing notes an octave apart at the same time. His compositions include "West Coast Blues."
He also specialized in healing music for lonely drives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home