Saturday, May 05, 2007

The 30th anniversary celebration

This wasn't your garden-variety birthday party.
There was no cake.
Just some big plastic cups full of QUISP cereal.
There were no presents.
Just several episodes of the original 1966-67 "ULTRAMAN" television series on DVD.
There were not many guests.
Just my family, who didn't even stay around for the second DVD feature: "Daikyoju Gappa (Gappa the Triphibian Monster)."
No, it wasn't a regular birthday party. Today I held my much anticipated (by me only) ERIK IS ELEVEN: 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION.
Rather than dwell on the fact that I turned 41 this weekend, I decided last year that I would instead celebrate the 30th anniversary of me being 11.

Today felt like a perfect day from 1977:
We watched a bad Japanese monster movie. We gobbled up sugared cereal in the middle of the day and we washed it down with cherry Kool-Aid.
I ate some chocolate and now I am even listening to KISS.
My wife didn't last too long under the onslaught of now-cult Japanese television. She held out for one "ULTRAMAN" episode and then retired upstairs.
My mom, visiting from Reno, just read a book. I don't think she even glanced up when Papa Gappa and Mama Gappa were DESTROYING TOKYO.
I didn't expect Jill and my mom to appreciate the ERIK IS 11 party.
However, I did think the girls would enjoy it.
I was so wrong.
They couldn't even last through two "ULTRAMAN" episodes, and Annika didn't even finish her QUISP.
Oh well. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's not often we can step back in time on a Saturday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home