Monday, May 14, 2007

"How they dance in the courtyard -- Sweet summer sweat"

"...some dance to remember, some dance to forget..."
And some put The Eagles on their iPod when forecasters are calling for the warmest temperatures of the year today -- 89 degrees is possible in Dubuque. Our previous high for this spring was 85 degrees on April 29.
I read that forecast and immediately thought:
"I need to put The Eagles on my iPod. 'Hotel California' sounds great on a really hot day."
It sure does:
"So I called up the captain, 'Please, bring me my wine!' (He said) 'We haven't had that spirit here since Nineteen sixty-nine"
There has always been something iconic about this song for me, probably because I heard it repeatedly growing up in California. Then, I continued to hear it in high school in Phoenix and in college in Iowa, where the song became a reminder of home, a symbol of the things I had left behind.
And a great song to hear on a hot day.
"But still those voices are callin' from faaaaar awaay, Wake you up in the middle of the night, Just to hear them say, 'Welcome to the Hotel California.'"

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Only a few months ago I purchased Hotel California. Why it wasn't in my collection, I can't explain. Definitely a classic -- whatever the weather and no matter how much time has passed.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home